Tuesday, May 03, 2005

WatchLine ?

I'm sure some are wondering why the name WatchLine. Well, this homemade compound word is not found in the the dictionary. And so, I guess it is only appropriate to continue this 'net corner' introduction with a brief explanation and then we'll be on with it.

It's fitting enough that my initials, WCH, are in the word WatCH. My son and I would sometimes play a game and make words out of the 3 letters we'd see on car license plates here in Charleston, South Carolina.(I know, we all have slow days). Obviously, the word watch can be derived thence from my initials. More on that word later.

The word 'line' has several meanings. A straight line can be the shortest distance between two points. Or, it can mean a border, perimeter or boundary. Another definition is a course of action or direction of something in motion. One dictionary defines it as a "persuasive way of talking"...I would say an influential manner of speech or 'line' of thought. A reporter or writer is known to 'lay down some lines'. I like it better and more relevant here as "a source of information" and "insight".

The word 'watch' also has several meanings. And exceptionally important is its' Biblical use. Your local dictionary defines watch as "to be attentive or vigilant" and "to keep guard, wait and be expectant". A better way of saying it may be "the act of keeping awake to guard, protect, or attend". Peter (the apostle) must have read his Webster because he certainly used this context more than once (see I Peter 4.7 and 5.8), as did Paul (Ephesians 6.18 and I Timothy 4.5), as did John (Revelation 3.2-3 and 16.15)--to name a few. Another relevant description for watch here is "a notice or bulletin that alerts those listening to the possibility of severe conditions occurring in the near future." (I got that one from the wordsmith duo of Merriam and Webster). The prophetic duo of Isaiah and Ezekiel (though not concurrently) used this context (see Isaiah 21.5-6, 11-12 and Ezekiel 3.17).

I actually thought of the word watch first partly because of my initials....but, of course, the meaning of the word----with its' timely pertinence. But watch by itself just didn't seem right. It had a lack of completion and singularity. Well, hmmm, what else.....there's watchman (no, too subjective).....watchsign (no, too apocalyptic)......watch___?.....watch___?.....WatchLine! It actually came quicker than it took me to write it just now or you to read it. So, why WatchLine? Well, put two and two together---or one and one. Watch + Line. It is merely a means of expressing that which is seen and is worthy of note for 'food for thought' but hopefully, more importantly, as Paul said, for edification and exhortation and comfort.

I like the background for this site too. It may be a lighthouse but it reminds me of a lookout post or watchtower.